If you've browsed our Instagram or Facebook, you've seen all the goooorgeous pupcakes that our amazing brand ambassadors and customers bake. These pupcakes are insanely beautiful - like cakes you'd get at a professional bakery for people! Though your dogs may not care how beautiful their pupcakes are before they dive in and eat them, I am often asked by dog pawrents how to make their pupcakes more photogenic. Luckily, we have a few hassle-free tips to make your pupcakes look professional!
Tips for photogenic pupcakes:
- Add 1/3 cup of water to the batter before baking. This will make your batter smoother and the tops will not have any lumps.
- Make sure your pupcakes are baked all the way through. Underbaked pupcakes will sink in the middle after cooling. Just stick a toothpick in your pupcakes while they're baking - if it comes out clean, then you're all set! If it comes out with batter on it, leave it in for another few minutes.
- Add frosting! Frosting is the perfect solution to cover up any lumps or cracks. Our frosting is perfect for piping in cute patterns on top of pupcakes. We picked up a multi-pack of tips from Amazon and have had tons of fun trying out lots of different designs!
- Use cupcake liners. Cupcake liners will prevent your pupcakes from sticking in the tins after baking. We prefer paper ones to foil because the foil ones tend to become loose and fall off after the pupcakes cool. Plus, there are tons of cute patterns in grocery stores, Target, etc.! (Note: you can also spray your cupcake tin with non-stick baking spray instead of using liners or you can use a silicone baking mold like this.)
- Use bananas as your base. You can make our pupcakes with bananas, pumpkin puree, or unsweetened applesauce, but bananas are key for making the fluffiest pupcakes. Pupcakes made with pumpkin puree or applesauce will still taste delicious, but they do not get as fluffy as with bananas.
- Get some props! I am not a professional photographer or cake decorator by any stretch of the imagination, but our pictures become 100x cuter when I add in a prop like a birthday hat, tiara, or boa on the dogs. My pupcakes may look normal but at least my dogs look cute!
Do you have other tips or ideas for making your pupcakes look fancier? We'd love to hear them in the comments, or let us know on social media with a picture!
PS Wondering who decorated the gorgeous pupcakes in the photo in this post? It was our awesome brand ambassador, @soothing_friends! Be sure to follow them and use their special discount code SOOTHINGFRIENDS15 for 15% off your next order!